Saturday, April 4, 2009

From MAASU

Hello world, sorry for the nearly two month span between updates.

Nine of us from UIC [not all from AACC, but all are certainly, at least on some level, friends of the program, or friends of AARCC] have made it to the Midwest Asian American Student Union in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

But anyway, we were unable to make any of the festivities for the opening day of the conference. Tomorrow we will be taking in workshops, headlining speakers, and likely other things as well. I'm personally very excited about Ashwin Madia, the morning speaker. I'm currently unsure of my workshop selection, but I will no doubt be reporting on it later.

Look out for other updates from MAASU attendees within the next couple of days! For now, here's a link drop:

Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology is out now! Parry Shen, Jeff Yang, and Keith Chow stopped by UIC earlier this week as part of their book tour, and I can say that it's quite a read. Check out if they're coming to your campus, or to your city, and go see them! They're great guys, and they put together a great anthology.

Chicago Asian American Film Festival, running from now until April 16. Check out a movie, I think we will.

Asian American Institute in Chicago is soliciting applications for its Impact Fellows Program. As a participant in the program two years ago, I can personally say that it's a great experience.

If you're around the University of Illinois-Chicago, check out any of the events during Asian American Awareness Month!

Speaking of UIC, if you clicked on that link up there it took you to a page on the Asian American Resource and Cultural Center website. Turns out, they're hiring for the 2009-2010 school year! You could have my job! Whoa! Go check it out.



Ok, that's all for tonight. I'm out for now, but keep an eye out for MAASU updates throughout the weekend. Time to try and get some sleep so I'm not zonked out through the whole day tomorrow.

No comments: