Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jesus made me do it

Well um...at least she used the word "sorry" this time?

Miley Cyrus says:

"I want to thank all of my fans for their support not only this week, but always! I really wanted to stress how sorry I am if the photo of me with my friends offended anyone. I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be. Peace and love, Miles"

I think one of the things that I've learned growing up and doing stupid shit, as well as what I've learned in observing politics, is that apologies that start "I'm sorry if..." are different than apologies that start "I'm sorry for...", in the sense that apologies that start the way of the former don't really mean much. I think the "if" implies that, somehow, the person who is being apologized to is a little abnormal, because the act is not something that should always be apologized for. "If you're offended, then I'm sorry." It's a qualified apology.

To actually apologize "for" doing something removes that sort of air of fucked-up-itude on the part of the person being apologized to. "I'm sorry for offending you", I think, means that the person making the apology takes some sort of level of accountability. Something like that. Not that she would know the difference, and honestly, I would be surprised if Disney knew the difference, but yeah, there's something.

Info via Idolator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of people say "if" and not realize the connotation that follows it. Its tricky if you dont think about it. I gotta watch out for that next time

DMei4 said...

If it was God's plan then it was meant to be. I hope you note the sarcasm.