Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oh those hipster kids and their cultural appropriation.

So while I never extensively listened to her music, from what I had heard, I had a little place in my heart for Lady Sovereign. As a female rapper, her rapping seemed decent, inflicted with that British accent of hers. And she just seemed like this quirky persona who had some weird-ass, eccentric videos. In short, she did what she wanted and I admired her for it.

So I watched the video for her latest single, "I got you dancing" and was somewhat disappointed to see that she and her background dancers had donned some Indian apparel. When will people learn that dressing up in suede attire, headbands with feathers, and applying random lines of paint on your cheeks does NOT make you Indian and is in fact, offensive. "Oh look at me, i'm one of those craaaazy redskin injuns now!"
SO ridiculous.

Anyway, check out the video. Perhaps i'm 'overreacting.' But I don't think so.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Yeah. This is definitely not limited to the world of female British rappers, I mean, this is something much bigger than that, and it's been going on forever. We live in a country where there's a professional sports team in the nation's capital called the "Redskins." It's a big thing, but nobody seems to notice, or if people notice, then they don't seem to care.